I absolutely LOVE this differentiated visual method of teaching 2-digit x 2-digit multiplication. This strategy helps students learn quicker, easier, and without so much fuss! And you can try it out for FREE! The best part about this method is that scaffolding provides complete flexibility to meet the needs of ALL students.
The Standard Algorithm Blues
You might refer to 2-digit multiplication as double digit multiplication, long multiplication, and multi-digit multiplication. The standard algorithm requires that students know basic multiplication facts fairly well.
The more fluent students are with basic facts, the more brain power they have available to learn the procedure. And that’s often part of the struggle students face.
Additionally, Students must:
- Follow the correct procedure, which has several steps.
- Line up their numbers and columns.
- Write neatly (Ack! So many kids can’t read their own writing! That’s a whole other blog post for another time!!)
When it comes to 2-digit multiplication, there are so many opportunities for students to make mistakes. Plus, students just don’t get it!
About Differentiated 2-Digit Multiplication
Students can clearly see the steps as they solve multi-step multiplication problems. The shapes on these worksheets visually guide students toward successfully solving the problems.
Student frustration can be drastically reduced because students can actually see the progression of the steps. They’ll gain confidence and finally understand!
By simply remembering that “Circles go with circles” and “Squares go with squares,” students gain confidence that leads to success.
How Differentiated Organizers and Worksheets Help Students
These differentiated 2-Digit Multiplication worksheets and organizers help students in a few different ways:
- Guides visual learners through the multiplication process
- Alignment of numbers and columns
- Neatness and number size – improves graphomotor skills
- Essential for visual learners and visual discrimination
- Assists visual discrimination
- Organized writing = organized thinking
Remember – Proper alignment is absolutely critical to success with multiplication and division!
How to Use Differentiated Worksheet and Organizers in Your Classroom
Here are some ways you can use these worksheets to help your students today:
- These pages work wonderfully to differentiate for individual student needs.
- Use as scaffolding as students work towards independence.
- Use these worksheets to introduce and reinforce multiplication skills.
- Small group time for practice and re-teaching with teacher’s guidance focusing on needed skills.
- Homework or independent work as a review.
Where Can I Get These Worksheets for FREE?
Click RIGHT HERE or on the photo below to download a 2-digit multiplication organizer worksheet and a 2-digit multiplication on graph paper (both without any regrouping) absolutely FREE to try!
Need More Differentiated Multiplication Worksheets?
Click on the links below to check out some additional differentiated multiplication resources and articles.
How to Teach Multi-Digit Multiplication and Long Division – This blog article will introduce you to the differentiated multiplication and division resources and how I use them in my own classroom.
2-Digit Multiplication Made Easier – This blog article provides a more in-depth explanation of how to use multi-digit multiplication resources with your students. It includes lots of pictures!
2 Digit Multiplication Worksheets and Organizers – Differentiated Resource – Visit Teachers Pay Teachers to see the full set of organizers and worksheets included in this original kit.
All Multiplication Resources – Check out all of the multiplication resources that I offer in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
Long Division Differentiated Worksheets and Organizers – When you get ready to move on to division, this is the perfect resource to turn to for promoting long division learning with your students.