Looking for a quick, easy tried and true differentiation strategy for improving your students’ math computation skills? Look no further – a simple sheet of graph paper can improve students’ math arithmetic skills for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division! – And fractions, decimals, equations, and pretty much any other type of math you can think of!
((Keep reading – there’s a FREEBIE at the end of this post!!))
Graph Paper to the Rescue!
This simple sheet of graph paper can do so much to help students.
I probably don’t even need to remind you that keeping numbers lined up and legible is absolutely critical to success in math. Students simply must have legible handwriting and good alignment to keep numbers in columns.
Benefits of graph paper
- Alignment of Numbers and Columns
- Neatness and Number Size – improves graphomotor skills (skills needed for writing).
- Handwriting (penmanship) and number formation
- Effective for visual learners and visual discrimination
- Organized Writing = Organized Thinking
Outside of math, graph paper can help students with story writing, penmanship, spelling, you name it! Plus, since it’s something different, students love the novelty of writing on paper that’s out of the ordinary.
Graph paper is a staple resource and intervention in many special education classrooms. It’s a cheap, simple, and easy to implement accommodation for students with dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and dyslexia.
You’ll have to experiment with the different sizes of graph paper available. There are many different types of graph paper that are available online that can be printed off for instant use.
Graph Paper Alternative
If you don’t have any graph paper handy, try this trick:
Use a sheet of lined paper sideways!
It doesn’t get any easier than that!
No-Prep Graph Paper Math
Hey busy teachers!
Check out these No-Prep Multiplication and Division Graph Paper Packs – ready to print – from Teachers Pay Teachers!
This mega-pack contains 11 different Multiplication and Division Graph Paper Resources to save you Valuable time!
Free Multiplication Graph Paper Sample!
Now it’s time for the reward! I hope you and your students LOVE this FREE SAMPLE! If you and your class love it enough, I hope you’ll stop back to my store and check out my other graph paper resources – I use them in my own class, and I’m very proud of them!
More Articles about Long Division:
- Differentiated Long Division Worksheets for FREE – Grab these differentiated long division worksheets for FREE and dramatically boost student success and your teaching success!
- How to Teach Multi-Digit Multiplication and Long Division – This blog article will introduce you to the differentiated multiplication and long division resources I have available. You’ll learn exactly how I use them in my own classroom.
More Differentiated Long Division Resources:
- Long Division Differentiated Worksheets and Organizers – Visit Teachers Pay Teachers to see the complete set of organizers and worksheets included in the original kit.
- All Division Resources – Check out ALL of the multiplication resources that I offer in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
- 2-Digit Divisors Long Division Differentiated Worksheets and Organizers – When you get ready to move on to 2-digit divisors, this is the perfect resource to turn to for promoting advanced long division learning with your students.
- 2 Digit Multiplication Worksheets and Organizers – Differentiated Resource – Visit Teachers Pay Teachers to see the full set of organizers and worksheets included in this original kit.
Articles about Multi-Digit Multiplication:
- 3 Ideas for Teaching Multi-Digit Multiplication – Here are 3 FAST ideas for teaching multi-digit multiplication. These interventions are easy and quick for busy teachers.
- 2-Digit Multiplication Worksheets: Differentiated – Here’s a visual method for teaching 2-digit multiplication using differentiated, visual cues to guide students’ learning for success.
- 2-Digit Multiplication Made Easier! – Here’s how to use the double-digit multiplication organizers and worksheets.
Thanks so much for your support – I hope you’ll become a follower of my store by clicking here!